We are all at different stages in our lives, and in the same way we all have different spiritual journeys.
At Portland First Church of the Nazarene, we provide several different avenues where you can gather with others, grow in your knowledge and understanding of God and the Scriptures, and give of yourself to others just like Jesus did.
Adult Bible Fellowships (ABFs)
Every Sunday before the worship service, many of us meet to study the Bible together in a deeper fashion than we use on our own during the rest of the week. We find value in letting the words of the Bible speak to us, and we find deep spiritual meaning in the discussions that we have with each other when we center them in the words of the Scriptures. In fact, many of us find that the worship service is more meaningful to us when we have spent time discussing the Scriptures with others beforehand.
ABFs meet at Portland First on Sunday mornings, 9:15-10:15 a.m.
Encouragers is a class for adults of all ages who wish to engage in an intensive study of Scripture. The ABF meets in Room 307-8.
Resident Aliens is a class dedicated to studying Scripture in context, so that we can align our hearts with God’s heart and love our city the way Jesus does (1 Peter 2:11-12). It is open to adults of all ages. The ABF meets in Room 302.
Band of Brothers is a class for men and meets in the Choir Room (306).
Heroes of the Faith is a class for senior adults. It meets in the Fireside Room (404).
Sababa is a class for 18-26 year-olds and meets in the Level 3 Conference Room.
Women of Faith is a gathering for women of all ages and meets in the Coffee Station on Level 4.
Life Groups meet at homes throughout the metro area at different times throughout the week.
The goals of our Life Groups are to help us:
- Connect people relationally.
- Care for people’s needs within the church family.
- Cultivate people’s spiritual growth.
Our Life Groups are what is referred to as “sermon-based” groups. Sermon-based groups are based on the content of the weekly sermon series. The groups gather together to go deeper into the Word of God and to apply the scriptures to real life.
For more information about Life Groups or to be contacted about joining a group please fill out the form below.
College-age adults (18-26) gather together in the Youth Center every Thursday night at 7:00. If you are looking for a place to connect with others who are in the same stage of life, come join us!
Senior Adults of Portland First get together multiple times a year for brunch and also sponsor an annual day trip.
The goals of the Builders Ministry (50+) are: to encourage a personal, up-to-the-minute relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; to promote fellowship and involvement at Portland First; to be an encouragement to young families and the pastoral staff; and to be examples of faith, hope, and spiritual strength.
The Builders sponsor special events such as:
- Day trips to places of interest around Oregon.
- Overnight trips to places of interest around the Northwest.
- A brunch approximately once every other month, featuring guest musicians and speakers.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Ladies Bible Studies
Ladies Bible Studies take place at Portland First on Tuesdays two or three times a year. Each study lasts several weeks.
Ladies Book Group
Ladies Book Group meets once a month on Tuesday evening. Women of all ages are welcome to join us at 6:30 p.m. in Room 302.
The 2017-2018 schedule is:
- September 12 – And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer
- October 10 – The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
- November 14 – I Am Hutterite by Mary Ann Kirkby
- January 9 – Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson
- February 13 – The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
- March 13 – Flory by Flory A. Van Beek
- April 10 – A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- May 8 – Sensible Shoes by Sharon Garlough Brown
- June 12 – The Preacher’s Bride by Jody Hedlund
- Summer read – America’s First Daughter by Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie