Since its earliest days, Portland First has put the Great Commission, Matthew 28:19, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit…” as one of its main goals.
The following is a list of some of the various Missions Programs used to fulfill this great commission.
One of the ways in which Nazarene Compassionate Ministries responds to disasters is to distribute Crisis Care Kits (CCKs). Each CCK contains various toiletries that help displaced families with daily life after a disaster. All items should be submitted to the Missions Center. Monetary donations for postage will also be welcomed.
Can you provide a full CCK?
A complete CCK consists of the following items assembled in 1 two-gallon Ziploc bag:
1 bottle of shampoo (12-18 oz)
2 bars of soap (bath size or larger)
1 tube of toothpaste (4-6.4 oz)
1 box of bandaids (30 or more)
1 set of fingernail clippers
1 sturdy hair comb
2 hand towels
4 pocket-size packages of facial tissue
1 Beanie Baby-size stuffed toy
Special offering for the World Evangelism Fund.
Faith Promise – A means of pledging a weekly, monthly or one-time sum for the World Evangelism Fund.
Nazarene Education Services – Scholarships to prepare nationals for the ministry.
Reading Books – Each year the General Church publishes six missionary books for adults and children.
Thanksgiving Offering – Special missions offering.
The World and You (WAY) Fund provides financial assistance to individuals or groups who have the opportunity to participate in a mission project. To apply for a scholarship, please download the application form here. Please read the following policy statement before submitting your application.
Policy Statement for Missions Council
To guide decisions about individuals or groups requesting monetary assistance for mission projects from the Missions Council – particularly from The World And You (WAY) Fund
Purpose: To provide financial assistance to Portland First Church of the Nazarene individuals or groups who have opportunity and skills to participate in a mission project, but not the opportunity or ability to provide all the resources required.
- The individual* needs to be a reasonably mature person, willing to follow a leader’s direction, abide by the rules of the church and/or any special requirements of the team (such as dress code of a particular country). There should be no objection to a non-believer on a Work & Witness (W&W) team or project, but the NMI Council will not knowingly support anyone who could embarrass the team or hinder in any way.
- Although the idea of providing assistance to individuals for mission related projects was conceived originally for youth, no age limit will be imposed. The merits of each request will be considered without regard to age.
- The individual will be encouraged to raise a substantial amount of the total cost by his/her own efforts. The amount given can be set by the Council, and the rest provided by the individual (this position may change if conditions merit).
- The individual must be insured according to the General Church of the Nazarene policy (or another organization which sponsors the project).
- The individual needs to attend Portland First regularly (an exception is made to college and university students who are gone during the school year – their regular attendance while not in school is sufficient).
- The individual needs to tithe regularly.
- The individual is expected to complete a WAY Fund application that will include a reference from the pastor on staff that knows them the best.
- The NMI Council would prefer all WAY Fund applicants to come to the Council Meeting when making the scholarship request (we understand this most likely is not possible for college students).
- Projects sponsored by the Church of the Nazarene will receive the highest priority.
- All WAY Fund applications are reviewed by the NMI Council and final approval from the Senior Pastor is required.
*all policies for individuals apply to individuals within groups
World Evangelism Broadcasting – The medium used to send the gospel message over the airways.